Home | Xenophobia: Part One | Xenophobia: Part Two | Xenophobia: Part Three | Fish Out Of Water | LiveJournal Blog

Introduction

Ah, the last contest I took part in and did well at. This is part of the Man of the Season series that's been running at Insim for over two years now, and out of all the times I've tried (that's a lot!), this was the only one I got past not only round one, but all the others that followed - and this is one of the strictest for eliminations too, so although I didn't get to top three it's still one hell of an achievement! :D

Rating: Normal
Eliminations: Yes
Result: Either fourth or fifth - they only listed the top three, so I'm not quite sure.

Other notes: Oh yes - another installment from his and Chris's story, Brotherly Love - in fact if you're interested, read that first. While rounds one and two don't relate to the story, round three doubles as the epilogue.

Friday 20 June 2008

Round One

Lonely Boy

Dhampirism has its ups and downs; on the plus side I get to move things without touching them, I can fly, do pretty much anything else a vampire can do without worrying about the sun... while on the flip side, I survive by sucking the life fluid from others, and I last slept about three to four years ago. I miss my sleep. Not just the feeling of lying still for about ten hours in the dark, enjoying the wonders of your dream world... but with no sleep the days are endless, blending seamlessly into each other. In short, they drag.


It's dawn. The kids will be up in a bit to get ready for school, but Chris isn't here to help - he's staying at his parents' this time. Then I send off the kids to school, with heavier backpacks than usual - they're staying at their friends' afterwards. As the door closes, it takes me a moment to realise that now, I am completely alone. The most I have ever been for a long time.

Hey, wait... I'm alone! YES!! Now I have a chance to do something I very rarely get the chance to do anymore. You may well ask why I'd be headed down the beach in the middle of winter. Well, there's something about the sea I miss. Not the waves as they kiss the shoreline, not the crying of seagulls - I won't even hear them where I'm going.


It's been too long. Although sadly, the sea bed doesn't house underground heaters. Even my merfolk friends are absent this time, and after a while of stretching my fins I can understand why. Dhampirs feel something vampires don't - the cold! Swimming does little to stave it off, yet it's with reluctance that I leave the open sea, back to the confines of my home.

I don't stay inside for long though. There's something I forgot to do, which I may as well do now I'm on my lonesome. See this nice big tree outside our house? I got it planted over a week ago. Took some work but it was worth it - you see, there's nowhere to keep a Christmas tree in our house, so I improvised; the pagans kept their trees outside, which is where the whole tradition comes from. They decorated them about this time of year, just as I'm about to do now.


... Um, Andy? Why are you bothering with a ladder when you can fly?! Doh!

Ah well. Snowing once again, and it's already coated the ground with a nice thick blanket. You know what's coming don't you... right? Wrong!


There's more than one way to play in the snow after all! ... Only problem with snow though, it's cold! Better get inside now, I'm pretty sure the kids won't want frozen fish tonight.

I know I've been in the water once already, but if ever there was an excuse for a bath it's now. Great way to thaw out and actually enjoy the feel of the water as it tickles my scales.


Ah, that's better. Chris was nice enough to get in a bigger bath to allow my tail room to stretch, and I have to say I've noticed the difference. The last one was pretty cramped, even before I got like this.

Hmm... I know, change into something really comfy - something I haven't worn for ages.


Nothing like a good read curled up by the fire. I could get lost in these... given how long I still have before some part of my family gets home, that can only be a good thing!

No comments: